House Fellows are Cornell faculty and senior administrators who engage with residents through intellectual and social opportunities that enhance student-faculty-staff interaction within the House.
- Build House community by interacting informally and formally with students in groups and as individuals on a regular basis.
- Contribute to the intellectual and social life of the House.
- Work closely with the House Professor-Dean, Assistant Dean, Graduate Resident Fellows, Student Assistants, House Council (student leadership body), Active Citizens (returning residents who continue to be active members of the community by frequently attending programs and getting others involved), and student residents in establishing the House program.
- Create opportunities for informal learning and artistic experiences for residents such as programs, activities, informal offerings, lectures, screenings, workshops, arts events, discussion groups, off-campus outings, and non-credit in-House courses.
- Engage other unaffiliated university faculty and senior administrators in social, artistic, and intellectual programming and opportunities to be with students in the House.
Cornell faculty colleagues: as there is turnover in the House Professor-Dean, a search will begin at least a year in advance of the opening. We encourage those professional faculty members with interest to join us in exploring this opportunity. Learn more about the position and experience by connecting with one of the current House Professors.
Alice Cook House Professor Shorna Allred
Carl Becker House Professor Neema Kudva
Flora Rose House Professor Rosemary Avery
Hans Bethe House Professor Julia Thom-Levy
William Keeton House Professor Steven Jackson
The House Professor-Dean leads the intellectual side of the house community. House Professors are tenured Cornell faculty who are appointed to 3-6 year terms by the President.
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Living/Learning Programs - West Campus House System
The Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education oversees the House Professor-Deans in the West Campus House System, offering upperlevel students an engaged community that fosters personal discovery and growth and nurtures scholarship and creativity.